Our second post-1.0 patch is coming next week, with more improvements and fixes as well as some entirely new additions. The patch is now playable in the Unstable test version, available to everyone who owns Barotrauma on Steam, so you can already see all the upcoming changes for yourself. Or read on below to find out what’s coming!
Summer Patch 2023
The first, immediately noticeable change in the patch is the reworked line-of-sight effect – the visual effect which restricts visibility to only that area which your character would really see, allowing for that all-important enclosed feeling even in a 2D game. The new LOS effect should look smoother overall, especially around intersecting walls. To get a better idea of what exactly has changed, take a look at this comparison screenshot:
A completely new addition in this patch are the Electrician’s goggles item. The goggles allow you to see the power and signals moving through the wires in your sub. While wearing the goggles, you can also see when a connection panel sends or receives something, signal values or the amount of power, for example. This item should make the wiring system more approachable to new players interested in it, and help experienced wiring wizards create even more complex designs.
See the Electrician’s goggles in action in this tweet we posted a little while ago:
Optimizations and improvements
We have also been hard at work investigating performance issues. This upcoming patch will introduce multiple optimizations which should improve performance, especially in late-game areas where the many items on board your sub may result in performance loss.
In addition to the new LOS effect, the goggles and the optimizations, the patch also includes lots of bugfixes and other improvements. Here are some top picks:
- Upgrades that require materials can be purchased with materials from the sub instead of having to carry the materials on you.
- Added category buttons to the fabricator interface to make it easier to find items.
- Oxygenite tanks can now be recycled.
- Shutting down the reactor doesn’t automatically turn off automatic control.
- Made clown and husk events and missions more common.
- Fixed anaparalyzant not reducing paralysis.
- Fixed “hash mismatch” errors when publishing an update to a mod after you’ve given it a different name in the Steam Workshop in the language your Steam UI is set to.
- Even more fixes to bot AI, such as:
- Improved how the bots navigate on ladders and fixed a number of edge cases.
- Improvements to medic bot AI: they should now be better at determining which injuries are minor enough to ignore, making them waste less medicine.
- Fixed multiple pathing issues, for example bots attempting to idle in the Remora and Kastrull drone.
- Fixed bots not always being able to open the doors in beacons or wrecks while attempting to return back to the main sub.
- Fixed bots operating turrets shooting at handcuffed enemies.
Coming next week
The Summer patch is planned for release next week, Honkmother willing. Give it a test in the Unstable now and stay tuned for the public release soon!