Thank you sailors old and new for joining us over the past weeks to celebrate our 1.0 release. We hope you’ve had fun diving into the depths; we’ve been overjoyed to see how many of you there have been!
Now that we’ve had some time to recover from the release, it’s time to turn our eyes to the future again. Barotrauma is going to keep getting further updates and improvements, perhaps not as frequently as during early access, but regularly nonetheless.
As life on Europa may already have taught you, things don’t always go entirely smoothly, and as such some issues slipped into the release build. We’ve released two hotfixes to tackle some of the more severe ones since then, and more fixes are in the works. Thank you for being diligent with bug reports (and patient while waiting for fixes)!
The next patch
The next release is going to be a slightly larger patch, coming in a little over a week. It will contain many fixes for the bot AI in particular, to hopefully make them less prone to asphyxiation and getting stuck on things, and help them do a better job while manning the ship’s guns. There are also many other fixes and improvements coming at the same time. Here are just some of the things to look forward to:
- Bots should be better at changing oxygen tanks and finding items overall.
- Fixed multiple bot pathing issues, including many fixes specific to using ladders.
- Fixed bots using both a diving mask and a diving suit suit simultaneously.
- Improvements to bots operating turrets. For example, better prioritization of targets and less delay before shooting.
- Reworked Typhon submarine, with many QOL-fixes. (Kudos to UberPendragon)
- Makeshift shelves should now be placeable, even in saves predating 1.0.
- Linked fabricators to nearby cabinets in Azimuth, Berilia, Kastrull, Orca2, Typhon, Typhon2 and Winterhalter.
- Replaced the wall between gunnery and engineering (that every sane person cuts a hole in) with a door in Kastrull.
- Multiple fixes to talents
- Several multiplayer fixes which should make various disconnects / networking errors less common. Most notably, submarine/mission equality check -errors should happen less often.
Further down the road
The release after the next one is also most likely going to be a large-ish patch rather than a full-fledged update, with more fixes and improvements. We’re aiming to have this second patch out sometime later this spring or in the early summer. We’ll write more about that closer to date, and of course, stay tuned to the Unstable version which grants you test access to in-development content and fixes.
Even further: next content update
Gamedev is not all bugfixes, luckily, and we’ve already begun work on the next content update. Without going into too much detail about it yet, since it will only be release-ready in the latter half of this year, we’re now finally planning on reworking the traitor mode. Our goal is to offer more variety in the traitor objectives and rework them so they take a longer time and perhaps a bit more finesse to complete, fleshing out the traitor concept a bit better. More about that later when the new design is finished and ready for the light of day.
Stay tuned for the upcoming patch in a couple of weeks, and thank you again for making our release a wonderful experience!