Experience & Talent Points
Experience can be gained in three ways:
At the end of a mission, all members of the crew will gain experience from any completed missions. Experience gain from completing missions depends on how much money the mission gives, and the difficulty of the level. Level missions - such as reactivating a beacon station or killing an abyss creature - give experience just the same as a mission from an outpost.
The formula for experience gain is as follows:
Experience = Money * 0.09 * (1 + Level Diff. / 100)
Commendations & Medals
These are consumable items which give experience when used.
Coalition Commendations give 275 experience, while Coalition Medals give 750 experience.
Captains with the "Trusted Captain" talent receive one Coalition Commendations at the end of each round, as long as at least one mission has been completed. The "Trucker" talent will give an additional commendation, as long as all, missions have been completed. Contrary to the description, level missions such as beacon stations and hunting grounds are required.
One Coalition Medal is awarded to any character with the "Esteemed Captain" talent at the end of each round, as long as at least one mission has been completed.
Commendations and Medals will give experience to both the user and the recipient, as long as it is being used by a captain with the relevant talent. (Trusted Captain for commendations and Esteemed Captain for medals.)
- Camaraderie - Whenever you finish a mission without a crewmember dying, and your crew contains at least 5 different jobs, your crew gains an additional 20% money and experience. The deaths of assistants do not count.
- Trusted Captain Whenever you finish at least one mission, gain a Coalition Commendation. When you apply a Coalition Commendation on another character, gain 275 experience.
- Esteemed Captain - Whenever you finish at least one mission, gain a Coalition Medal. When you apply a Coalition Medal on another character, gain 750 experience. You may select an additional mission.
- Expanded Research - When you or another allied crewmember deconstructs depleted fuel, they gain 200 experience. This effect can only occur up to 3 times until you finish another mission.
- Co-Author - You can co-write a book with a Mechanic. To do this, select their character and have them select yours. (Open each others' health menus). After 10 seconds, you will gain The Handy Seaman, and both of you gain 150 experience. This effect cannot occur again until you finish another mission.
- Polymath - Gain a bonus of 20 to all skills, and you gain 65% more mission experience, but you have 25% less maximum health.
- Despite claiming to boost "mission experience," Polymath boosts all experience gains.
- Quickfix - Unlock recipe: Repair Pack. Whenever you fully repair a device, gain 40 experience. This effect can only occur up to 8 times until you finish another mission.
- Scrounger - Whenever you open a container in a wreck for the first time, you have a 40% chance of finding an additional scrap. When you deconstruct scrap, gain 50 experience. Force doors open 50% faster.
- Canned Heat - Fuel and oxygen tanks you fabricate are of 1 higher quality. Whenever you play an accordion, the ally nearest to you will gain 15 experience every second. When they do, you gain 10 experience. This effect can only occur up to 20 times until you finish another mission.
- Scrap Savant - You can refine 3 scrap to any alien material. Gain 150 experience when you fabricate an alien material. Whenever you open a container in a wreck for the first time, you have a 80% chance of finding an additional scrap.
- Curiosity - Whenever you deconstruct an Alien Artifact you and another random crewmember gains 150 experience. Small alien artifacts, when deconstructed, give 50 experience instead.
- Atmos Machine - When you deconstruct an Alien Artifact, there is a 20% chance it will instead transform into a random alien item. Whenever you finish a mission, your crew gains 10% additional mission experience for each large alien artifact on board your ship, up to 20%. Gain an additional 150% Deconstructor Speed.
- Research and Development - Whenever you finish a mission without a crewmember dying, you gain an additional 45% experience and gain the item Europan Medicine. The deaths of assistants do not count.
- Advanced Splicing - Unlock recipe: Advanced Gene Splicer. Whenever you or another crewmember combines or refines Genetic Materials, gain 125 experience and a bonus of 5 to Medical. This talent can only give up to 100 skill bonus. This bonus is lost on death.
- By the Book - Unlock recipe: Fulgurium Stun Gun Dart. Whenever you finish at least one mission, your crew gains an additional 1250 marks and 200 experience for each captured, live enemy human on board your ship, up to a maximum of 2500 marks and 400 experience.
- Bootcamp - Unlock recipe: SMG Magazine. Whenever you finish a mission without a crewmember dying, you gain an additional 35% experience. The deaths of assistants do not count.
- Rich in Knowledge - Whenever you gain a skill point, gain an additional 20 experience, while your allied crewmembers gain 10 experience. This effect can only occur up to 15 times until you finish another mission.
- Playing Catchup - If you are 2 or more levels behind your most highest-leveled crewmember, gain an additional 100% mission experience.
Experience per Talent Point
Required experience begins at 450 points for 1 talent, then increases by 500 experience for each point earned.