|This page is a Legacy article|
Features described on this page are no longer in the game.
The Carrier is a sentient parasitic growth that has taken on a submarine as a shell. The submarine is old and abandoned, with limbs resembling that of a Fractal Guardian, and the entire lower back portion of the vehicle has been removed. A red substance adorns the sides, either rust or dried blood.
When encountered ingame, it is incredibly dangerous, and will take multiple hits from a railgun to be killed. Its head can destroy the hull of a submarine in a single hit, meaning that it must be killed quickly if you want to survive. Despite the uniquity of its appearance, its AI is similar to that of the Moloch's, and therefore similar precautions should be taken.
Carriers are solitary, and will only appear on their own.
- The Carrier would later go on to be adapted into the Thalamus in the steam release of Barotrauma.
- The mission briefing of "Salvaging a Derelict" and the following mission complete message imply that the Carrier is actually a growth-like form of the Velonaceps Calyx, or a similar organism resulting from chemical mixtures.
- The submarine shell's appearance and size are almost identical to that of The Nibbler, implying that the lost cargo vessel was a Nibbler.
- The Carrier's Attack 1 audio, "alarm1.ogg", sounds very similar to (and is named after) an alarm. This suggests some of the inhabited ship's systems are still online.
- Despite both of the above theories, the Nibbler does not actually possess an alarm system of any sort. This could be explained as the Carrier being a variant of the Nibbler designed exclusively for cargo transport, as the alarms on-board any larger ship that the Nibbler is attached to would serve just as well to a larger crew, thus rendering alarms on-board the Nibbler unnecessary. This theory is supported by the fact the mission briefing for "Salvaging a Derelict" state that the lost ship was indeed a cargo vessel.
A comparison of the Carrier and The Nibbler
Taking damage 1
Taking damage 2
When attacking 1
When attacking 2