|Data is potentially outdated|
|Last updated for version 0.14.6.0|
The current game version is 0.18.12.0
Containers are simple Installations that provide storage space. They prove beneficial in freeing up space in a crew member's inventory, as well as organizing items in general.
Interacting with a container will open a GUI table of slots for items. From here the player can drag and drop items into or from the table to store or extract them. Double-clicking on an item also allows quick storage/extraction.
- Most containers are watertight. This property allows safe storage of items that explode when in contact with water, such as Sodium, Potassium, Magnesium, or Lithium.
- Access to some containers is restricted to crew members that have certain Jobs (or anyone in possession of their ID Card). In vanilla submarines, there are only two such containers: the Toxins Cabinet is restricted to Medical Doctors and Captains, and the Secure Cabinet is restricted to Security Officers and Captains.
- While most containers can hold both small and medium items, some are limited to small items.
- Crates can be held and moved freely, by picking them up (Default: ). They are affected by gravity and might get launched in case of violent impacts, detonating certain volatile items stored in them. Placing crates on a Crate Shelf prevents this.
These containers are installed on the walls, and cannot be picked up and moved around.
This table lists containers that have little to no restrictions on their allowed contents.
|Large Steel Cabinet||30||Yes|
|Medium Steel Cabinet||15||Yes|
|Medium Windowed Steel Cabinet||15||Yes|
|Secure Steel Cabinet||20||Yes||Can be ID restricted. |
On default submarines, access is usually restricted to Security Officers and the Captain.
|Medicine Cabinet||30||Yes||Cannot store medium items.|
|Toxin Cabinet||20||Yes||Cannot store medium items. |
Can be ID restricted.
On default submarines, access is restricted to Medical Doctors and the Captain.
|Loose Panel||1||No||Opened by standing close and clicking on a small area slightly left of the center.|
The area is 40x40px for the big one, 30x30px for the small one.
|Loose Vent||1||No||Opened by standing close and clicking on a small area slightly left of the center.|
These containers have strict restrictions on their allowed contents
Some containers can be held in the inventory or carried by hand, moved around, or stored in other objects.
|Storage Container||12||No||Cannot store medium items, nor Toolbelts. |
Cannot be stored in a character's inventory nor toolbelt. Can be stored in other containers.
Can be crafted in the Fabricator with a Steel Bar.
|Metal Crate||20||No||Cannot store Storage containers.|
|Secure Metal Crate||20||No||May be ID restricted. Cannot store Storage Containers.|
|Explosives Crate||12||Yes||Cannot store Storage Containers or medium items.|
|Chemicals Crate||12||Yes||Cannot store Storage Containers or medium items.|
|Medic Crate||12||Yes||Cannot store Storage Containers or medium items.|
|Duffel Bag||24||No||Cannot store Storage Containers or medium items. |
Spawns after the death of a Human, contains their inventory and replaces the body.
|Artifact Transport Case||1||No||Can only store one Artifact, and suppresses its adverse effect.|
A medium item.
Can be crafted in the Fabricator with Lead and Titanium, or bought at research outposts.
The following containers are not normally found inside submarines, though they can be added to one in the Submarine Editor.
The following containers are found in Outposts.
|Medical Compartment (S/M/L)||1/3/6||No|
The Alien Ruins feature five unique containers.
|Small Alien Chest||5||Alien Items||No|
|Medium Alien Chest||8||Alien Items||No||In the Submarine Editor, the medium chest is incorrectly named "Small Alien Chest".|
|Large Alien Chest||10||Alien Items||No|
|Incubation Bubble||9||Genetic Materials||No|
Editor Containers Settings
Once placed, cabinets placed using the submarine editor can be set to auto-populate with appropriate items. To accomplish this, one must add the appropriate tags in the "Tags" field. See below for a table showing what items are included in each tab. For the list of valid autofill tags, see Autofill Tags.
Additionally, the "Secure" containers and Toxin Cabinets can be set to only be accessible by crew members carrying a specific id tag. To accomplish this, enter the desired id(s) into the "Picking required" field that is shown when the safe is selected in the submarine editor. Note that this mechanic is identical to the one used to secure doors against certain member of the crew.
- While all items that hold other items are "containers", this page focuses on the items whose primary purpose is to hold other items.